Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Separation Of Church And State? Impossible!

Beulah Land

A place of simple beauty,
Unadulterated,
Unadorned and ofttimes underrated;
No society, no pomp and ceremony here,
Just cool water to drink of;free and clear.
No fancy organs, or choirs to sing,
But voices with love and fellowship ring.

No help from man has e'er been needed;
Only Christ Jesus has interceded.
He's left us the Church, the Gospel's free!
And oh thank God, it's enough for me.

A handshake and a fond embrace,
Real brotherly love is in this place.
No need for fancy dress to wear,
No one will notice, no one will care.
Each one is looked on as the other,
And not ashamed of "Sister," "Brother."

The old time way is all we know
And oft a happy tear will flow.
He's left us the Church, the Gospel's free

And oh thank God, it's enough for me!


I wrote these words in l975 and the passage of time and circumstance has only made me see more clearly the truth that is found in them. I believe that sometimes a convert can have a richer experience than even one born into a family of believers in salvation by grace alone.

In l955 when Brother Lonnie and I married, I had never heard of a church called Primitive Baptist, and so I thought that surely the more "up-to-date" (here unnamed) group with which I was affiliated was much preferred. I was much mistaken.

In my wisdom I thought that the best plan would be for us to alternate Sundays( wonder if anyone else has ever tried that)? One Sunday at my church and one Sunday at his church---Hah! Well, would you believe I was sprinkled at the Primitive Baptist Church? and very soon
there was a steady rain (thus proving the scripture) falling on me, and henceforth the TRUTH was written in my heart and woven into my life. Can it be separated from me ? No, it is a vital part of me no matter what state I am in and unless I lose my mind, it will forever be.

I am somewhat like Brother Lonnie in this respect: I have been in at least 39 states and several really foreign countries. Always , whether the state of happiness, of grief, of loneliness, and all other states, there is the abiding joy that accompanies the knowledge of the truth that is found among the followers of the Old Baptist faith at His church. Can I be separated from this? No, never!

"For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth.

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth."

My cup runneth over with joy unspeakable. My dear children and grandchildren walk in this truth and I trust and am persuaded that Susan, Ronnie, Jon, Amanda, James, Audrey, Emily ,Ryan, Harrison, Isabella, Will, Lonnie, Tammy, Amber, Graham, Aidan, Ann Riley, Mollie, Tim, Tabitha, Nathan, Ben, Tony, Ashley, Robert, Grace, Millie Rose, Andy, Tina, Ashley, Druanna, Rachel, Becky, Hugh, Sydney, Aubrey, Hughston, David ,Sherri, and John Anthony , in whatever state they find themselves, cannot be separated from the Church!

This picture is a good example of Brother Lonnie in a state of utter dismay. We were at a big meeting, (in yet another state) in the hallway of a hotel. A few groups of Old Baptists had gathered in the hall, meeting and greeting. As I walked toward Brother Lonnie, who was talking (yes, he was) with or rather to some folks who I had never met, he called me over to meet them. The perfect opportunity to wear my new nose, arose, and so as you may see from the look on his face, (he was well acquainted with his thorn in the flesh) he was very proud of me!

Separation of Church and State? Impossible!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nenie, I love you! I love how you can weave truth, and love and laughter all together. Keep writing for us. And I LOVE how my children were added so quickly to the list. Their ol'grayma sure loves 'em, huh?!
Mani-O

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

the ladner family said...

wow, if there could only be women preachers! HA! i was just kidding. but seriously that was just beautiful.

Becky said...

Hope you speak Spanish...

the ladner family said...

Yeah what's up with that?

Dru said...

Hey HEY!! I LOve you sooooooooooooooo much!!! I love this blog and please keep this up!!!

lovyou,
Dru

su said...

Mother, how beautiful...the person and name as well as this lovely entry. No truer words were ever spoken by mortal man. I am so thankful that you decided to alternate Sundays with Dad when we were young. "The road less traveled, and THAT has make all the difference!"

Anonymous said...

interesting... an unintended, genius aspect of democracy is that the state of the government will represent the state of the people. We needn't impose any particular religion on our government. Whether or not our government is morally stable will reflect the moral stability of us, the people. So how are we doing?

Anonymous said...

You write very well.