Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Homemade Biscuits

"When you wake up in the morning,Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.





We always had a full, old fashioned breakfast in our home. I'm speaking now about the home that Brother Lonnie and I established on February 18, 1955. Our parents had lived their young years in a time when store bought bread was not available to them, and so homemakers made their own. My mother-in-law elevated the baking of biscuits and cornbread(and everything else she cooked) to a fine art.

Enter Shirley, who had moved with her family to the big city, and whose mother left biscuit making way behind in Copiah County, MS. A biscuit in my childhood would have been as unusual as a UFO sighting. So imagine what dread Miss Lydia must have felt for her baby boy
when he brought me home! I can't look back and say that I was a quick study, either. I know I was eager to please , I remember that, but I know now that the patience and tolerance that accompanies young love must have been called on many times. When I think back on my earliest efforts at biscuit making I can understand why he often asked for toast. To quote Brother Lonnie,"I said all that to say this," Don't give up; it takes practice and patience to cook everything when you don't know anything. This house could not contain the biscuits I have since made, and some will even say they pass, (even Miss Lydia might be proud of me). Every morning for fifty years Brother Lonnie had biscuits, eggs, grits or rice, and bacon or sausage if we had it-because he wanted that and because I loved him. Occasionally he would still ask for toast, but then I knew it was because he was, in his words,"burnt out on biscuits!"

So just in case you, dear reader, might be interested, one day soon ,The Lord willing, I will post my famous biscuit lesson on this very spot.

12 comments:

the ladner family said...

i am so PROUD! u did a blog!!! it is sooo cute, can't wait for the lesson!

~ashley~ said...

what a sweet, sweet story! Tony will be so happy to know there is still hope for me:). Will stay tuned...

Sydney Sanders said...

i love the blog, nenieo! keep up the good work!

Amber said...

I am so glad that you have a blog now! What a way to stay up to date with you all. :)

I could have written that post myself. I often wonder if Jay's mom is worried about his son's lack of homemade biscuits, but I do have to say that Pillsbury makes a fine bag biscuit these days. HA! You need to come to Florida for a week and teach me how to make biscuits...and boiled eggs...and green beans...and everything else you do so fine.

Hope you can make it to our meeting in a few weeks.

Amanda+2 said...

Nenie, I love you! I am so glad you finally did this. Can't wait to learn more!

Dana said...

It's Dana Hataway from Georgia. Amanda told me about your blog and I am so excited to get some of your famous recipes!!!

su said...

So, wow, when I composed myself (I started reading aloud to Ronnie,) I realize my Mother could win Blog Spotter Rookie of the Year. Wonderful, Mom, and I can't wait to read more. Keep that wit and wisdom coming, Dear, we need it!!!

Carol Lynn said...

I thought I'd check out your blog after Su told us about it at book club. I remember those biscuits from when Robert and I went to the country many years ago. I can't wait to try my hand at it! Also this is the first blog I've ever read. I love it! P.S. Congratulations on the book club!

Carol

Dru said...

hey nenie!! this is soooo
awesome!! I miss all of yall, (you especially) and hope to see you soon! i hope to see you keeping up with this and i'm also soo proud!
Your favorite Grandkid,
Dru

Anonymous said...

you know u love me the
most!!! Keep up the good
work!!!love you the most,
aubrey

Anonymous said...

stop posting -- makes me too sad ....

Anonymous said...

I love biscuits and eat them every morning (all my life) and have failed miserably at every attempt to make them myself, though I am a decent cook and never give up. I gave up on biscuits. However, I am inspired by your advice and the recipe and the photos. The vignettes in the photos are charming. I am passionate about vintage and old things, especially kitchen things. I got a kick out of the last line.