Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A MADCAP ADVENTURE

But I don't want to go among mad people; Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat:"we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."


Once upon a time,way down yonder in New Orleans, the paths of one young lady and a dashing young man met and merged (and that has made all the difference!)

This is the beginning of their story ; a beginning that defies all logic and reason (and my mother).

Brother Lonnie and his brother,Roy, and two of their cousins came to New Orleans to visit a cousin who had been in an accident. Since I lived next door to this hapless fellow, I spent a lot of time with him and thus was on the scene, a sitting duck, as it were. If you knew brother Lonnie you are aware that it was not long before he had cornered me in the kitchen and stolen a kiss. Now I, having stars in my eyes and rocks in my head, was the proverbial fly, gazing at myself in the looking glass. I'm sure you've heard the saying,swept off my feet, well that perfectly described the situation. Then and there, in that kitchen, in November of 1954, I hitched my wagon to a star ; and in retrospect I can say with clarity and conviction that this was my finest hour.

This was my mother's response: here paraphrased by the Queen." Now, I give you fair warning," shouted the Queen, stamping on the ground as she spoke; " either you or your head must be off, and that in about half the time! Take your choice!"

Well, in less than half the time (three months) we were off !! Thus begins our saga, our great adventure. And did we succeed? Yes! We did, indeed!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

very clever, tote

Anonymous said...

I love the stories you can tell. Please keep telling them, especially about you and papa.
love you, amanda

Anonymous said...

Tell about him pinning you up against the kitchen cabinets saying..."You cute little thang...do you know how to make coffee."

"Last time I saw you...you had on a little red hat!"...oops...nevermind...that was JP.

"THE PASTOR"

Anonymous said...

wow, you missed your calling as a writer.i'm sick that i didn't inherit your talent.
love
em

Anonymous said...

Very funny! I read it anyway--despite having to wait until I got home. --can't wait
for "Act II"!!

Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

i love you blog!!!
my ole'daddy is silly!!!
love ya, breezy nell

Anonymous said...

This is the most insane thing I have ever seen!
I'll be publishing some comments alright, just not ones like "oh great Nenie, I love your blog..."
Mine will in the future be exposing some serious hypocritical behavior.
I'll start with,
"Hey Nenie, how come you go to the Longleaf Trace with make-up and lipstick?"
Again, this is ridiculous.
Anonymous

su said...

I love the way you gently and sweetly paint the literary landscape (I'm in a book club in case you wondered) and then add a dash of realism and top it all off with a clever topping of humor. (You probably think I should start my own blog?)

Anonymous said...

ok~see~that's not the story he told me...his version went somewhat the same but, the roles were different. you got him (an innocent country boy being lured by a city girl)in the kitchen, put something in his coffee, and 3 months later he woke up a married man... i don't know... that's just what the ole fella told me... i don't know how it happened-i'm just glad it did! ~ashley~

Anonymous said...

hey i will have to try that to the letter because i have tryed it before and it was a flop!!! so i will try... again. i love the stories they are all so sweet,and i am glad we have them all written down now! yet again you should be a writer.

Anonymous said...

hey i will have to try that to the letter because i have tryed it before and it was a flop!!! so i will try... again. i love the stories they are all so sweet,and i am glad we have them all written down now! yet again you should be a writer.
em

Amber said...

I just love reading these! This was beautiful. Just beautiful.

Can't wait to see you this weekend!

su said...

Why can't I post on the more recent post? There is no spot.